Monday, March 21, 2011

The iPad Review

Dear Reader,

As you know I have been testing the iPad 2 for the last week, when I use the iPad in public; people approach me, and start asking questions about the iPad. Last night a woman told me she did not see what the big deal was about this tablet, she owned a lap top computer and a smart phone. I handed her the iPad 2, her eyes opened wide, it did not look like any devise she had ever seen, I showed her how to use it, she was amazed how intuitive the iPad is, you did not need to read a manual the size of a phone book, I explained. The Google Map App for instance can not only find you the nearest Starbucks, but it can give you driving directions, public transit and walking directions, along with the phone number and address.

Though I LOVE my iPhone 4, there are some limitations as with any Smart phone, the size of the screen. When I open the Google maps on the iPad, the map is large; there is more detail, it easy to read. As a Baby Boomer, my eyesight is not what it once was; therefore larger fonts are easy on my eyes. The iPad 2 launches programs much faster thanks to the A5 processor, the first generation iPad was fast, and the iPad 2 is lot faster, this is important if you are editing your next blockbuster film in iMovie. A nice gesture by Apple, the iMovie that I purchased for my iPhone 4, did not cost me an extra dime for my iPad. In fact a lot of the programs that I purchased for my iPhone worked fine on the iPad, though I have upgraded some of my favorite Apps for iPad HD Apps, because they are optimized to take advantage of the A5 dual core processor.

I purchased Verizon 4G LTE card, I have it in my Cradle Point MR 1000 router. I tested my iPad with this network, the speed is awesome, and I benchmark speeds up to 24,000 kilo bits per second in Los Angeles, though average Internet speeds ranged from 7,500 to 12.500. This presents a dilemma for anyone who is hesitant to buy an iPad 2 with 3G because of the 3G slower speeds. Buy the Wi-Fi version, when the 4G routers like Verizon MiFi come out latter this year you will have the faster Internet speed. However the Wi-Fi version of the iPad 2 does not have GPS built into the unit, if you plan on using your iPad as a GPS, you will need the Wi-Fi plus 3G iPad 2.

My rating from one to five, five being the best, I give the iPad 2, four and half points, I would had like the 4G network instead of the slower 3G network.

No comments:

Post a Comment